Physical Design / Implementation Engineer
Are you passionate about setting new standards in physical implementation? This is a rare opportunity to become a part of the Cambridge CPU implementation team. The CPU group defines, designs and validates Arm's processor IP - the brains inside billions of electronic devices.
As a physical implementation engineer, you will join the successful team that has enabled huge volumes of next-generation high-efficiency processors, including the hugely successful Cortex-A53, the most recent Cortex-A510 through to the smallest and most energy-efficient Cortex-M0+ processors.
This role is to influence RTL development whilst innovating, developing and deploying the latest implementation techniques on live projects, including driving EDA vendors on advanced process nodes (eg. 3nm FinFET) whilst pushing the boundaries of power efficiency and influencing physical library development. You will provide the quality support that our customers desire and collaborate with them to develop the best products that help influence the world.
Our team is tightly coupled with the RTL design teams and this gives an outstanding opportunity to improve your knowledge of CPU microarchitecture. Your wide-ranging set of responsibilities will include:
- The physical implementation of Arm processors using the entire implementation flow from RTL through place and route to STA
- Pursuing complex challenges like low power and methodologies for improving the efficiency of implementation
- Working with the sales and marketing teams to support the launch of new cores
- Supporting our customers and enable them to be successful in the world
- Collaborating with EDA vendors to enhance the best in class results from our processors whilst focussing on the ideal user experience
Required Skills and Experience:
- Good working knowledge of the entire IC design flow and knowledge of hardware description languages: Verilog or System Verilog
- Expertise in one or more of: synthesis, place and route, LEC and STA
- An attention to detail and tenacity to identify and solve problems
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Good analytical skills along with the ability for creative thinking
- An ability to effectively work alone as well as in a team
- A professional and enthusiastic approach to work
'Nice To Have' Skills and Experience:
Whilst not required, we would love to hear from you if you have:
- experience with low power design techniques (power gating, DVFS etc)
- knowledge of Arm based SoCs
- proficiency in scripting languages such as Tcl and Python
- a deep understanding of challenges faced at the nanometre-scale
- meaningful experience in the industry
- passion and curiosity to grow your expertise
Arm® is at the heart of the world's most sophisticated digital IP products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped billions of Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies.