Senior Principal FPGA Design Engineer
BAE Systems is seeking a Senior Principal FPGA Design Engineer!
See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
At BAE Systems, we deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. If you are an individual that enjoys a cohesive team environment and is interested in a variety of challenges across a variety of products, then we are interested in hearing from you!
Electronic Combat Solutions Hardware Engineering Group is looking for a Senior Principal FPGA Design Engineer to support FPGA designs through all phases of development. The ideal candidate is expected to perform activities including assisting in requirements generation and design architecture, ownership of RTL coding, synthesis, place and route, timing closure, basic testbench development, lab testing and debug, and product support.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status along with the ability to obtain a minimum of Secret Clearance
Because of the need for consistent, in-person collaboration and/or the requirement to perform all work onsite due to the nature of this particular role, it will be performed full-time on site.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- 8+ years of relevant experience with bachelor's degree (less years with advanced degree)
- Current Security Clearance (Secret), or eligible to obtain one
- Significant experience in FPGA (preferred) or ASIC Design / Development
- VHDL (preferred) or Verilog HDL coding
- Familiarity with Xilinx Vivado or Intel/Altera Quartus
- Experience with internal logic analyzer (ILA/chipscope/signaltap)
- Digital simulation using Modelsim/Questa
- Significant experience with static timing analysis and clock domain crossing techniques
- Experience with high speed interfaces like SERDES, PCIe, DDR2/3/4, LVDS
- Familiarity with revision control (GIT, CVS, Clearcase, Subversion, etc.)
- Experience generating scripts (Perl, Tcl, Python, shell, etc.)
- Strong debug and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter and a good team player
- Ability to mentor and willingness to be mentored
Because of the need for consistent, in-person collaboration and/or the requirement to perform all work onsite due to the nature of this particular role, it will be performed full-time on site. This means work will be conducted on location at a BAE Systems facility 100% of the time.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Ability to distill higher level requirements into micro-architecture
- Experience with managing a development activity, include executing to a development budget and schedule
- Experience in hardware design and hands-on lab debug
- Experience dealing with legacy designs
- Experience in leading a design team
- Experience with high speed ADC/DAC interfaces
- Experience with UVM/SystemVerilog and working with design verification teams
- Working knowledge of C/C++
- Experience with DSP fundamentals – and FPGA implementation – as well as Matlab/Simulink a plus
- Experience being a CAM (Control Account Manager) a plus
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.